The Jacobs Law LLC started the Stepping-Stone Scholarship was started as a way to help students of Massachusetts’ community colleges. It began as a scholarship for graduates of community colleges who attended Suffolk University Law School. However, this year, we are happy to be able to expand the offering to students of Northern Essex Community College who attend any ABA-accredited law school in Massachusetts. The amount for the 2017 submission year is also now $1,500.
From our own experience, we know and understand that it takes a lot of motivation, hard-work, time & perseverance to get accepted to any law school. Achieving this goal is an even harder and longer road for those that start at a community college. It requires even greater dedication and drive — because, it seems, community college students have to prove a little bit more, score a little bit higher, have a GPA that’s just a little bit closer to 4.0 – to make the leap to a 4 year school and then law school. These students typically need to work while attending school, care for children or family, are veterans or have other commitments that make the path from high school to a community college to a four-year college to an ABA accredited law school, all the more difficult. But attendance at a community college is often the starting point – the stepping stone – for some of the most dedicated and hard-working individuals.
By starting the “Stepping-Stone Scholarship“, The Jacobs Law LLC seeks to recognize and honor these impressive and hard-working students who overcame so many obstacles just to get the opportunity and privilege to practice law.
Please read below for eligibility rules and submission guidelines.
- Eligibility Rules
- Entering or current 1st year law student at ANY ABA-accredited law school in Massachusetts,
- Attended NORTHERN ESSEX COMMUNITY COLLEGE for at least two (2) completed semesters or one (1) completed year (graduates who graduated from and/or received a degree from Northern Essex Community College will be given preference),
- Achieved a cumulative GPA equal to or greater than 3.0 while attending Northern Essex Community College,
- Only one (1) scholarship is awarded each year (subject to change without notice),
- Application Submission Guidelines:
- Send all applications and documents to CONTACTUS@THEJACOBSLAW.COM
- All applications and documents must be submitted by email from the student’s law school-issued email address (this is for verification purposes as well as to prevent spam). Applications or documents from non-law school-issued emails will not be downloaded or reviewed,
- Send an academic transcript from the last semester you completed at Northern Essex Community College (this does not need to be an original, it can be a copy of the transcripts used for your law school application),
- Write and submit a two (2) to four (4) page (Times Roman, 12 font, 1 inch margins, double spaced) essay explaining why and what circumstances impacted your decision to attend law school, and how your experience at Northern Essex Community College helped you make that decision a reality.
- Important Dates and Deadlines: The following dates will apply each year. If a date falls on a weekend day, Federal holiday or Massachusetts state holiday, then the deadline will be extended to the next business day.
- Open Submissions Period: February 18 – September 18
- Deadline to Submit Applications: September 18
- Decisions on Award Deadline: November 30
- Scholarship funds will be disbursed within forty-five (45) days of the decision deadline.
If you have any questions, please call 800-652-4783 and ask to speak with the Scholarship Administrator. Please note that a scholarship award is not guaranteed.